Monday, October 5, 2009

Conference Weekend

































We had a very busy and fun-filled conference weekend. Friday began with us doing a Temple session at the Timpanogos Temple. Sue hadn't been there before so it was even more special. Then we were off to SLC for dinner at the "Roof" restaurant on the top floor of the Joseph Smith Bldg. that looks directly over Temple Square. After dinner we went to the History Museum. Sue had never been there before and it was very interesting. We both loved it. There were some real gems there. John Taylor's watch that stopped the bullet in the Carthage jail was there along with the death masks of the Joseph and Hyrum Smith.

Saturday saw us go to the first session of General Conference. As always the topics and speakers were inspiring. I especially loved Elder Bednar's talk. A lot of families need to hear that message. After conferences we went to our favorite little Italian restaurant, Tucci's, by Trolley Square. We really like that place a lot.

Sue and I then went to the Salt Lake City Cemetery. You probably didn't know, but I love old cemeteries. I love the SLC cemetery very much because it is filled with tons of church history. Most of the leaders of our church are buried there. There are also a lot of pioneers who are buried there too. We may not know them like we know our leaders, but they helped pave the way for us and our way of life and what we believe. I have paid some photographic respect to some of them.

After that we headed up to Park City for the night. We took a stroll along historic main st. and found a great little brasserie to have our dinner. We even ate next to Rocky Anderson, SLC's ex mayor.

The next day was a real rainy day but we still decided to take in the Winter Olympic park and do a guided tour there. That was awesome to get behind the scenes and stand on top of the ski jumping area.

After that it was a long drive home in absurdly strong winds. I was beat up when I got home.
It was a fun filled wonderful weekend though. Not really R&R but something that stimulated our brains.

7 comments:

Dana Kelvington said...

Ray & Sue: Terry & I really enjoyed reading about your conference weekend together. I've never been to the SLC Cemetery, but I'm going to go now. The pictures you took are truly inspiring and humbling.

tt moreno said...

I loved Elder Bednar's talk also (Felipe did too). Thank you for posting the photos of the Cemetary. I really like President Hinckleys with his cane. I got a little teary eyed when I saw it.
love
tina

Annie said...

Wow! I've never been there (the cemetery). Now I want to go! nice post

Ray and Sue said...

I'm glad that you liked the post. I really do love that cemetery. Basically take North Temple, North all the way through the avenues until you're almost at the top. It is a huge cemetery and you just have to wander through it. A lot of the markers are huge, many are not. I hope that when you get a chance to go that you will find some that I haven't seen as yet.

Ray and Sue said...

I meant take North Temple "East"

Sue said...

Thank goodness Kari's kids are moving close. It was so difficult for me to listen to the Tabernacle Choir sing the primary song "Heavenly Father Loves Me"... Actually it was the first time I saw the MTC perform other than practice. Not bad to be able to hear them sing "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet" & "Come, Come, Ye Saints" too. I really wanted to hear Elder Bednar. I am so glad he spoke at our session of conference.

I think Park City is a little over-rated but it was nice. The Olympic Village was fun. Growing up we always watched the olympics so I enjoyed seeing the runs in person. It's sad that the World Cup for Bobsled & skeleton sled is there in Nov. & no one follows it. The teams who will be in the 2010 oplympics in February will be there. The girl told us it is free to the public.

Dana Kelvington said...

Sue: I am so excited for you to have some of your family here with you. There is nothing better than playing with your grandkids, taking them places you love, and sharing your memories and theirs of wonderful times you have had together and will continue to create. Sunday dinners are the best! Love, Dana

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise