Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Welcome to North Dakota

I arrived in North Dakota almost 3 weeks ago. While I miss family, this move has been much easier than my move to Idaho. I am living at the Northern Lights Hotel in town and living out of cooler in a small room...it's all good. Rugby North Dakota is a small town in the middle of nowhere in North Central North Dakota, about 45 miles from the Canadian border. The weather is really nice...right now. Winters are probably going to be brutal. More on Rugby real soon.

I made my first road trip for a fun outing last Saturday when I went up to the Canadian border to visit the "Peace Garden". This is a pretty cool kind of a park place that lies half in Canada and half in the U.S. You actually have to clear customs when you come home. I felt like a real criminal after all of the questions they asked me. Each side has about a 3 mile loop to drive around with picnic areas and camp grounds. Up the middle is that actual 'Peace Garden" with a nice almost mile long gardent that leads up tot he Peace Memorial and Chapel. It has a few other nice things there as things there too like some fountains and an arts center. It was definitely worth the trip.

I got my new license plate today so I am now an official North Dakotan. Keep checking the blog...I'm going to do better keeping it up to date.

We have an opportunity to get a really nice and huge home...should know next week. If all goes well we'll move up here officially at the end of the month.

Look for a Rugby specific post and a Devil's Lake post in the days to come...until then...enjoy


Go Bison or Fighting Sioux


Peace monument... 2 pillars in the U.S., 2 in Canada


Inscriptions inside the chapel at the Peace monument





Peace Garden




911 memorial...girders from the WTC



Bell Tower

This turtle was made entirely of atuomobile wheels. Big as a house. In Dunseith






3 comments:

Annie said...

very beautiful! I can't wait to see more.

tt moreno said...

wow, so it IS official! so crazy!

RayS said...

It is crazy Tina...in a good way. I was really thinking about you last Saturday when I passed acre upon acre od sunflowers...hundreds of acres. We"re inching our way Eastward :}

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise