Saturday, December 10, 2011

Boise Here we Come!

I began a new chapter in my life this past week that is exciting, frustrating, and lonely...at least for now.

I moved to Meridian Idaho last Sunday to begin a new career as the General Manager for Circle J Trailers that is located in Caldwell, Idaho, a suburb of Boise. Circle J is owned by Big Tex, a huge manufacturer of heavy duty utility trailers.

Sue and I chose a very nice home to rent in Meridian where we will put down some new roots at least for awhile. At 54 years old I am way too young to retire and way too old to be unemployed...not a good position to be in. While neither so or I are happy to move away form our family, friends and beautiful home, we do feel very blessed to begin a new chapter in our life.

We are both giving up a lot as we begin our new adventure...family friends, Sue's great job, my calling a a Bishop was only 3/5 complete, and so many great friends, neighbors, and ward members.

I am thankful for being well connected in the industry that I have been in for the last 15 years and for the opportunities that present itself.

I would be less than honest if I didn't say that this week has been one of the roughest I have ever had on me outside of my divorce to my first wife, Rosann, and the cancer ordeal and ultimate death of my second wife Debbie. While this week pales in comparison to those two events, it has been nonetheless very hard on me emotionally. Thos who know me well know that I am one tough bird and never a victim in any way shape or form. Maybe it is becasue I am getting older and really need personal interaction. Even though Sue and I talk each night for over an hour it just isn't the same.

I know that this week has been a little tough on my new employees too. They are naturally apprehensive about what will happen to each of them and that is very understandable. I think about them each day.

I actually got out today and ventured into the downtown area of Boise. They have this really cool district called Bo-Do. It is made up of block so really cool stores, shops and restaurants. We have already staked a claim on a really good pizza place...Proto's. This area is very Annie-Like" They have a weekly market,art, etc street fair each Saturday from mid April to Christmas...lots of neat goodies. I even bought a couple of awesome pottery mugs today form a guy who was just closing up shop.They had really nice Christmas display there too. get this, they even have a minor league hockey team in town (Dallas Stars...Crap) to go and see and root for in a really nice new arena.Bois ehas tons of shopping, restaurants and just about whatever else you would need.

I had to try and get into the Christmas spirit today before the Holiday Blues set in, and I splurged on a 2' fake Christmas tree that I lit up and decorated and is sitting on my kitchen counter. it isn't much, but it is mine and is all that I have to help me get in the mood.

Here's a few photos of my trek into Boise today...enjoy.


Tis the Season

Inside Proto's Pizza

Atomica Pie, Garlic, Tomatoes, Olives, Italian Sausage, and Crushed Red Peppers

Everything Taters at this Shop

Downtown Town Square

Funky Little Shops

Proto's and Five guys



My Little Christmas Beacon

Mama Sue and Buster the Bronco on the Blue Grass at the Airport


12 comments:

Annie said...

I'm sorry you have to be all by yourself Ray. How many days have you spent this past crazy year? Too many. Uggh. At least it won't be for too much longer. Mama Sue will be there and then you KNOW you won't be lonely :) I'm so excited for you to show me around! I always love seeing new places :)

See you soon! Even though it will literally only be for Christmas day (right?), we're so excited to see you!

Maybe while we're in Logan in January, we can sneak up to Boise to check out the new digs...

Annie said...

PS. Proto's looks good!

RayS said...

Way too many days Annie. I hate being away from home and family. I will be there for Christmas Eve and Christmas day....wooooo hooooo

It would be awesome if you could come and visit in January...Boise really is a pretty cool town. You really would love the Bo-Do district how do you spell 'Urban Outfitters" and other places like that.

I can't wait to see you guys and everyone else too. It's been way too long.

Do you Skype?

Annie said...

We do Skype! brett.mx (i think).

Sherri said...

I can't wait to come visit boise! I've only been once and it was for a day or two... We were downtown at a job fair and didn't see too much. I know they have a win-co there cheap cheap cheap (that is what i'm all about recently)!!

RayS said...

Come on over Sherri....we're looking for a lot of company since I don't have a vacation for a year :)

Win-co....yeah baby...I love that place...been there twice already

Sue said...

New beginnings... Oh my... so glad we have faith that the Lord has a plan. New adventures? Sure... It will be great experiences together!

tt moreno said...

wow!! i am so happy for new adventures!!

i really liked boise when I visited a few times. its been at least 7 years ago though.

i like your little christmas tree :) and five guys is yummy. i didnt realize they had it out west.

RayS said...

Tina, you'll have to plan a visit too...real soon. They have a 5 Guys in St. George too

Dana Kelvington said...

Rae: It's been really hard on all of us thinking you will be leaving us as our Bishop and our dear friends.

Terry has had a particulary hard time trying to adjust knowing you have been mentally & emotionally adjusting for several months and now physically gone for the past month, and missing you more and more with the Bishopbrick trying to fill in for a wonderful Bishop who loves us so much.

I don't know what to say except you & Sue will be missed by everyone! We are thinking about you everyday during this holiday season knowing you are separated from us, but also knowing you are in our prayers.

Like Terry, who had to reapply for his own job (and everyone else in the organization), he was going though so many emotions as yourself, wondering what would happen, but also knowing as it pasted he became stronger.

We are faced with so many challenges and heartaches, but also joys and blessings. We can't wait to plan a trip and come see you when things are adjusted for you and Sue.

Everyone is so supportive and caring about your circumstances that you can't help but continue to grow with your new adventure together.

Dana Kelvington said...

You would think since Terry has served as a Bishop and in the Bishopric, I would learn how to spell it.

You two are the best!!!

RayS said...

Dana, thanks for the uplifting comments and thoughts. While I have always known that I need to do what I need to do to support my family, i have been struggling so much with leaving my family, friends, and ward members behind. We love our beautiful house and Southern Utah as well. I think it has been tougher since it has been during the Christmas season. basically I'm going to do a drive by at Christmas then...gone.

You have no idea how much you and terry have meant to me....the closest thing to a real brother and sister I have ever had. i sure do love you guys. We will have to work hard at staying in touch and seeing each other as the occasion may arise. We have a huge home and would love it if you could come and visit.

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise