Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hello Boise, it's Nice to Meet You!



Well, I have been up here for two full weeks now and while I am still having a very hard time being away from my family, friends, and ward members, I am beginning to feel a little more comfortable up here. Last week I explored the "Bo-D" district of downtown Boise that is right near the Capitol, I did more of the same this week...why...because it is an awesome are that is filled with really cool shops, restaurants, etc.

I ventured onto many more streets this week and loved what I found. Tons of boutique stores and restaurants. It was also the last Saturday of the year for the farmers market that literally stretches blocks and blocks. Independent vendors selling fruits, veggies, wines, every sort of heritage type meat imaginable, arts, crafts of every type, and of course all kinds of sweets, candy, pastries, and ethnic food (African sausages) I can't tell you how much I love this little place and the great vibe it puts off. This is a place where we will hang out in the spring, summer, and fall.

I ate at a great little Greek restaurant yesterday...Opa...I think.I had a great Horiatiki salad and some Lamb Shwarma...chased down by osme of the best baklava i have ever had. It sounds like a ton of food, but it really was just about right (I only ate half of the pita to keep the carbs down so I could indulge the baklava) Saturday has been my weekly indulgence for eating lunch out...ootherwise I cook all my meals and brown bag to work each day. Keeps costs down and since i am eating very healthily, I control what I eat. I have been able to keep my weight down to 190. I am going back on the HCG after Christmas so I can drop the last 25 lbs. or so.

I was invited to attend the empty nesters Christmas dinner last night. Normally I don't like these things, but because of the lack of human interaction, I succumbed to the prodding s of Carma, this sweet little old lady...she was unrelenting. I actually had a great time. great dinner, wonderful people, white elephant gift game. It lifted my spirits.

The highlight of my day each day is when I get to talk or Skype with Sue. She truly is the light of my life and uplifts me in every way possible. I miss her dearly and can't wait to see her this week. I am also getting very excited to see all of the family this week...what a great but hectic Christmas it will be.

Here's wishing all of the peace, joy, and happiness that they deserve during the very special Christmas season...

p.s. I'm new to the video uploading thing so you'll have to cut me a break :)

Boise Mall

Opa Greek restaurant in the Bo-Do district
Inside Opa


Horiatiki Salad....yumbo!

Lamb Shwarma with roasted veggies...oh my gosh was this good

Baklava....a truly guilty pleasure :)  


6 comments:

Annie said...

Are you kidding me? Are you trying to make Boise look awesome because I said it was the only place I wouldn't live? This looks so cool! AND are you joking with the Greek food....you have to be. Someone had to have told you that I crave Greek food more than anything...

RayS said...

Greek is where it's at...I have always loved it...one of my most favorite actually. This place was actually called the Cazbah...does all kinds of Mediterranean and Greek

You will love the vibe of this place when you come and visit...seriously...very nice mix of liberal and conservative.

I was telling someone in the ward that we were going up there until we retire...he said no you won't....you won't come back. Well I don't know about that...but...it really is way cool and has tons of stuff.

I love Urban Outfitters and have been hanging out there the last two weeks...love the place (pretty weird for an old dude huh :)

Kari said...

I too am excited to visit Boise. I've never been but have heard some great things about it in the last couple of days. Just got a Christmas card from one of Will's best friends and old roommates. The address is from Meridian ID. That would be funny if you lived near them because his parents live here. Miss you. See you here.

RayS said...

I miss you to Kari. I can't wait to see everyone...even though its only been a couple of weeks it seems like a month. i can't wait to have visitors up here. Just think...with all of our kids we can have almost non-stop visitors up here....that would be awesome. I was in the backyard this weekend checking out the playhouse and "Pirate Ship" climbing wall. Boise really is a pretty cool place...I like it already except for being lonely/homesick for family, friends, and ward members...this too shall pass though. :)

tt moreno said...

yum. now i want some greek food!!

tt moreno said...

see you soon!

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise

Sue & Ray's Zion Paradise